[OpenAFS] Re: libafs: Unknown symbol init_pid_ns

Axel Thimm openafs-info@openafs.org
Sun, 2 Nov 2008 22:33:40 +0200

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 02:39:24PM -0500, Marc Dionne wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
>> Thanks for the hint, but it seems to just call make prepare and make
>> scripts. The documentation says:
>>
>> --- 2.4 Preparing the kernel tree for module build
>>
>>         To make sure the kernel contains the information required to
>>         build external modules the target 'modules_prepare' must be used.
>>         'modules_prepare' exists solely as a simple way to prepare
>>         a kernel source tree for building external modules.
>>         Note: modules_prepare will not build Module.symvers even if
>>         CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is set. Therefore a full kernel build
>>         needs to be executed to make module versioning work.
>>
>> The GPL versioning seems to use Module.symvers, so there is no
>> shortcut to a full kernel build :(
>
> Module.symvers should be part of kernel-devel.
>
> I often build the openafs module (via the Makefile, not rpmbuild) on =20
> fedora with fedora-built kernels, and I can't recall ever having to do =
=20
> anything else other than installing kernel-devel for the corresponding =
=20
> kernel.  I've certainly never had to use "make prepare" or "make =20
> modules_prepare".
>
> I just did a quick test with a 2.6.27.4-68 kernel with the kernel and =20
> kernel-devel RPMs, and a bogus configure test that uses a GPL-only =20
> symbol.  I got the expected "modpost: GPL-incompatible module =20
> conftest.ko uses GPL-only symbol" error.

Yes, that's true, but for the range of distributions/releases
supported at ATrpms this would not work, for example RHEL3 does not
have any kernel-devel and RHEL4 got it only for updates. So the least
common denominator was to have the kernel configured and prepared that
way. There are also other kmdl failing if built against kernel-devel
like the lirc kmdls that #included from sibling folders like
#include "../<...>/bttv/<...>" which forced me to prefer full kernel
sources to kernel-devel.

Obviously this doesn't work as intended for openafs w/o building
Module.symvers.
--=20
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf