[OpenAFS] Re: Proto-TAC

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 11:09:36 -0500

Matt Benjamin wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> Well, Evan is certainly a member of the community.  I don't think he
> meant to step on any toes.

Whose toes do you think Evan stepped on?

> An new mechanism I'd benefit from would be scheduled openafs conference
> developer meetings between hackathons.  I think that would help us make
> more steady progress on tasks like libosi integration.  That certainly
> doesn't require a TAC, but it would probably require a bit of time
> commitment from some subset of active developers to be useful.

The openafs@conference.openafs.org conference room is available for
discussions.  Not to say that having a scheduled meeting once a week is
a bad idea but I don't think it is absolutely necessary.  Throughout
GSoC we performed design discussions in the IRC channel.  If you have a
topic you would like to discuss simply send an e-mail with a description
of the topic to openafs-devel proposing a time and when there is
consensus on a time hold a meeting in the conference room.

Derrick and I attempt to remain logged into the conference room at all
times.  If we are not there we can review the logs and comment after the
fact.

I stress the use of sending e-mail to openafs-devel because most OpenAFS
developers do not hang out in the conference room and they should be
given the opportunity to know that a discussion that might interest them
will take place at a given time.  At the very least it provides them an
opportunity to review the logs.

Jeffrey Altman