[OpenAFS] client tuning using the -daemons option

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:00:59 -0500

hi everyone,

I'm tuning some afs client settings for our Linux 64bit workstations
(v1.4.7) and for a test Linux web server (v1.4.6). I noticed that
bumping the -daemons option for afsd from 6 to 16 on the web server
seems to improve performance along with increasing the stat and volume
cache. Increasing the daemons option gave the most improvement.

The afsd man pages says that more than 6 daemons should not be needed,
but my experiment seems to prove otherwise. What are the pros and cons
of running with more alfsd daemons configured? Should the man page be
updated to recommend running more daemons?

What metrics can I use besides my applications run time to see that the
client is optimized properly? xstat_fs_cache gives me so much data that
it's confusing. How do I tell when increasing stat, volume, and daemons
options would improve performance?

Thanks,
Jason