[OpenAFS] client tuning using the -daemons option

Steven Jenkins steven.jenkins@gmail.com
Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:44:47 -0500

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Jason Edgecombe
<jason@rampaginggeek.com> wrote:

> What metrics can I use besides my applications run time to see that the
> client is optimized properly? xstat_fs_cache gives me so much data that
> it's confusing. How do I tell when increasing stat, volume, and daemons
> options would improve performance?

Brief answer:

- xstat_fs_test is for the fileservers -- it's probably not what
you're looking for to see how to tune your client's cache (but could
be useful when wanting to see an aggregate of N clients so that you
can tune your fileservers to scale better)
- xstat_cm_test is for clients -- that's probably what you want
- afsmonitor is the other tool you could use -- it's debatably more
user-friendly, especially if you set up a config file for it to only
show the info you want.  SLACs documentation for their Perl module is
pretty accessible:
http://search.cpan.org/~alfw/AFS-Monitor-0.3.2/pod/afsmon_stats.pod

You basically want to look at cache hits vs misses (both dcache &
vcache).  Those are the most helpful statistics.

There is a lot of information out there about cache tuning -- feel
free to ask more specific questions.  I know somewhere there are some
sample config files for afsmonitor, and I believe the old IBM docs
have each field in afsmonitor documented (although there has almost
certainly been some drift between those docs and what is present and
supported in the code now).

--
Steven Jenkins
End Point Corporation