[OpenAFS] Solaris 10, OpenAFS, and Firefox 3.0.3

Kris Kasner tkasner@gmail.com
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:35:26 -0800

Have you tried moving to memcache just for fun?

I have reason to believe that due to the change in the VFS interface
in Solaris 10, disk based cache has a memory leak and a huge
performance hit.

Solaris SPARC and x64 with disk cache both falter under the same load
as a linux system with the same OpenAFS version (same specs on the
Solaris x64 and the linux box). The SPARC system can handle more load
than either of the x64 systems when we're using memory cache.
These systems are a corner case - they are rsync servers for 1000+
systems that need copies of AFS data, but are not AFS clients. Each of
these servers have about 100-200 clients rsync'ing data every 15
minutes or so.

It might be worth it to try the memcache just to see if it makes a
difference in your environment.

Good luck..
--Kris