[OpenAFS] Solaris 10, OpenAFS, and Firefox 3.0.3

Jeff Blaine jblaine@kickflop.net
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:25:11 -0500

I'm throwing this out there because I'm getting close
to the end of my ideas on this problem machine.  Just
in case someone has experienced something similar or
has any ideas.

* OpenAFS 1.4.7
* SunOS 5.10 Generic_127127-11 sun4u sparc SUNW,A70
* Firefox 3.0.3 for Solaris 10 (Contributed by Sun)
* Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PROBLEM : Excruciating slowness of both Firefox and
Thunderbird and, eventually, the entire box.  It
can take over 5 minutes for the apps to display
on screen.

Running Firefox and Thunderbird *outside* of AFS works great.

Running the same Firefox and Thunderbird *from AFS* on other
machines works fine (same OS rev, same AFS rev, etc).

1.  Box was completely re-imaged and examined closely for
     AFS oddities a few days after the problem was found.
     It did not help.

2.  'fs getserver' shows proper local fileservers as
     preferred for the binaries.

       fs1.foo.com             40004
       fs2.foo.com             40014
       fs3.foo.com             20009
       fs4.foo.com             40010
       fs5.foo.com             40006
       fs6.foo.com             20010

       server fs1.foo.com partition /vicepa RW Site
       server fs6.foo.com partition /vicepa RO Site
       server fs2.foo.com partition /vicepa RO Site
       server fs5.foo.com partition /vicepa RO Site
       server fs3.foo.com partition /vicepa RO Site
       server fs1.foo.com partition /vicepa RO Site

3.  No network interface errors and all other networking
     appears fine/fast.

4.  Local disk-based cache like all of our other hosts.  60MB.

Stumped as of now.