Linux tmpfs (Was: [OpenAFS] Solaris 10u6: ZFS cache?)

Felix Frank Felix.Frank@Desy.de
Thu, 27 Nov 2008 10:19:44 +0100 (CET)

> If IBM/Sun had not patented it, cache management
> using the ARC algorithms would probably be a
> great improvement for that, and other cases.
> (as to whether open source projects could gain
> access to the patented algorithms is left as
> an exercise to the reader.)

Interesting. But after looking at http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/96.php,
it appears that PostreSQL's main problem was its BSD license, and the fact
that it entitles third parties to include postgre in commercial products.
More importantly, "IBM does have a policy enabling open source projects
to use its patents approved by the Open Source Initiative."
I don't know the details, but I'd expect IBM's policy not to interfere
with their Public License (i.e. OpenAFS's license).

Regards
Felix