[OpenAFS] Foundation Plan redux

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:22:27 -0400

Jerry,

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Jerry Normandin
<Jerry.Normandin@dafca.com> wrote:
> A real foundation that will generate some revenue for the openafs
> contributors and he people who have been a major contributor to the
> Openafs forms would be great.  Are you looking to assemble full time/
> part time code contributors?  How about a free and paid helpdesk model
> too!

Existing companies will happily provide you support, and they are listed at
http://www.openafs.org/support.html

The goal of the foundation is not to become a new entrant in this space.
Indeed, in my opinion, to grow a robust ecosystem for OpenAFS, it's
critical that the
Foundation not attempt to take this business away from current and
future providers.
The goal is to grow OpenAFS, not rather to subsume, consume, or co-opt
what is there.
Obviously I can speak only for myself and am but one voice, but the
plan you see was not crafted
with the idea you've proposed in mind.

Derrick
speaking only for myself