[OpenAFS] Timed out error on some operations in AFS when accessing from Solaris zone.

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Mon, 27 Oct 2008 10:33:22 -0500

Mans Nilsson wrote:
> I have a number of apps that try getcwd() from a zone in an AFS directory, and failing.
>
> Truss says:
>
> getcwd(0xFFBFDAE0, 4096)                        Err#145 ETIMEDOUT

Works for us.

> Exactly the same operation, but performed from the global zone, works flawlessly.
>
> Tokens are in order, I can create files, open them, "pwd" from bash and
> ksh works, but some apps simply can't tell where they are. Gnu Make is
> one, iirc, along with some other bits and pieces in my toolchain -- the
> first occurances were in compiling.
>
> This occurs in several zones, on  5.10 Generic_125100-10 sun4u with openafs 1.4.4. Zone setup for loopback sharing is typically:
>
> fs:
>         dir: /afs
>         special: /afs
>         raw not specified
>         type: lofs

This looks OK, but we don't mount the cache, or run the
cachemanager in a zone. The cachemaneger is run from the global.

So the following is not needed:

> fs:
>         dir: /usr/vice/cache
>         special: /usr/vice/cache
>         raw not specified
>         type: lofs

(Note: AFS is not zone aware, so PAGs and UID based tokens
are shred across zones.)

> ...which is the only way I've seen things set up.
>
> Any hints? I'm open to upgrading, no problemo.

On the system I just tested, we have 1.4.4,
with Generic_137111-07.

--

  Douglas E. Engert  <DEEngert@anl.gov>
  Argonne National Laboratory