[OpenAFS] Foundation Plan redux

Jake Thebault-Spieker summatusmentis@gmail.com
Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:31:09 -0500

------=_Part_38111_25191800.1225125069090

> In this case, as with AFS standardisation, I strongly disagree that term
> limits are desirable. At their worst, they just ensure the retirement of
> strong post holders, and their replacement with inexperienced ones.
>
> OpenAFS badly needs a way of encouraging new faces, and growing those
> individuals into positions of responsibility. I don't believe that requiring
> the abdication of successful leaders after some arbitrary period will help
> with this. It's kind of like cutting off the head of a random animal in the
> hope that it will grow a new one - it works in a small number of cases, but
> the rest of the time you'll end up with a lifeless corpse.
>
> I very much agree. While the concept of term limits makes some sense, in
this case, there seems to be very little reason for them. As someone who
would like to be one of the 'new faces' mentioned above, encouragement is
helpful :) I'm not sure what I'm saying anymore, beyond: No term limits.

--
Jacob Thebault-Spieker
Cell: (320) 288-6412

------=_Part_38111_25191800.1225125069090

OpenAFS badly needs a way of encouraging new faces, and growing those individuals into positions of responsibility. I don&#39;t believe that requiring the abdication of successful leaders after some arbitrary period will help with this. It&#39;s kind of like cutting off the head of a random animal in the hope that it will grow a new one - it works in a small number of cases, but the rest of the time you&#39;ll end up with a lifeless corpse.<br>

------=_Part_38111_25191800.1225125069090--