[OpenAFS] Mounting a backup

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:46:45 -0400

Steven Jenkins wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 8:44 PM, Loren M. Lang <lorenl@north-winds.org> wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a way to mount a snapshot of last nights backup.  All
>> volumes have a backup volume currently and I then mounted root.cell
>> as /afs/.<cell>/archive.  archive was read-only and did not change when
>> I changed the RW volume for root.cell and released it, but all the mount
>> points under the backup volume traversed to the RO or RW volumes.  Is
>> there a way to make the mount points traverse similarly to how mount
>> points for volumes with RO clones work?
>>

> There is not a way to create a mountpoint that will 'automatically'
> traverse backup volumes without specifying the backup volume itself,
> for example, you'll need to do something like
>
> fs mkmount -dir /afs/mycell/backups/somepath -vol myvol.backup
>
> Changing traversal semantics while in .backup volumes (e.g., to be
> 'once in a  .backup volume, prefer to traverse to backup volumes)
> could be done, but, to my knowledge, that's not on anyone's Road Map.
>
> How helpful would that change be?

This feature is available as an option to the afsd command. If you add
the "-backuptree" option to the afs client startup script, then it will
prefer backup volumes once in a backup volume. This "-backuptree" option
is not enabled by default.

See http://www.openafs.org/pages/manpages/8/afsd.html for more info.

Thanks,
Jason