[OpenAFS] Mounting a backup

Steven Jenkins steven.jenkins@gmail.com
Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:31:33 -0400

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 8:44 PM, Loren M. Lang <lorenl@north-winds.org> wrote:
> I am looking for a way to mount a snapshot of last nights backup.  All
> volumes have a backup volume currently and I then mounted root.cell
> as /afs/.<cell>/archive.  archive was read-only and did not change when
> I changed the RW volume for root.cell and released it, but all the mount
> points under the backup volume traversed to the RO or RW volumes.  Is
> there a way to make the mount points traverse similarly to how mount
> points for volumes with RO clones work?

There is not a way to create a mountpoint that will 'automatically'
traverse backup volumes without specifying the backup volume itself,
for example, you'll need to do something like

fs mkmount -dir /afs/mycell/backups/somepath -vol myvol.backup

Changing traversal semantics while in .backup volumes (e.g., to be
'once in a  .backup volume, prefer to traverse to backup volumes)
could be done, but, to my knowledge, that's not on anyone's Road Map.

How helpful would that change be?

Thanks,
Steven Jenkins
End Point Corporation