[OpenAFS] TSM client for OpenAFS

Anders Magnusson ragge@ltu.se
Fri, 03 Apr 2009 08:52:34 +0200

Felix Frank wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Anders Magnusson wrote:
>
>> Harald Barth wrote:
>>>
>>> Why is the space bigger? Don't you do incremental dumps?
>>>

>> Of course, but it will still take up much more space. If we do full dump
>> once a week
>> and incs each night there will be many duplicates of files changed early
>> after the full dump :-)
>
> Do I correctly infer that you don't need a full backup as in "ability to
> restore data from arbitrary points in time"?
Well, TSM only store one copy of a specific object, while if you do full
dumps + incs
there will be multiple copies.

> For simply keeping a safety copy of your data, you should consider
> OpenAFS+OSD (http://www.rzg.mpg.de/~hwr/Graz.pdf).
> It interfaces with TSM HSM. ACLs are not archived, but there are other
> ways to go about them.
The OSD way to get HSM is likely the way we will go in about one-two years
from now when we are changing our storage systems.  We have had that
in mind when we now goes from NFS/SMB to OpenAFS.

-- Ragge