[OpenAFS] Linux kernel modules for many different kernel revs

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 18:04:22 +0100

On 28 Apr 2009, at 17:49, Jeff Blaine wrote:

> How are people handling the management of installing
> (and maintaining) OpenAFS on a wide range of Linux boxes
> (all RHEL but many with different minor kernel revs)?

We use rpm. Whilst we have our own local RPM management system, you
can just use yum for this. Point yum at the repositories on
openafs.org, and all of the machines will get the relevant kernel
module.

Alternatively, you might like to explore the dkms RPMs. These will
automatically build new kernel modules as required. This simplifies
kernel module management, but at the expense of every machine running
a different, locally built piece of code. dkms simplifies management,
but can complicate debugging.

Hope that helps,

Simon.