[OpenAFS] Linux kernel modules for many different kernel revs

Stephen Joyce stephen@physics.unc.edu
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:21:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Jeff Blaine wrote:

> How are people handling the management of installing
> (and maintaining) OpenAFS on a wide range of Linux boxes
> (all RHEL but many with different minor kernel revs)?

During our install process, we install several init scripts. One of them
verifies that AFS is installed and properly configured (so it runs before
the openafs-client init script).

The script first looks for a sane local config. If it can't find one, it
checks our configured software repositories for a binary deb for the
running kernel. If it can't find one that matches, it grabs the source deb,
builds the binary deb, then installs it. (Later we can grab it and add it
to our repository.)

It's for debian, so the script is likely of little value to you. But
there's nothing to stop you from doing something similar with rpms.

Cheers, Stephen
--
Stephen Joyce
Systems Administrator