[OpenAFS] Linux kernel modules for many different kernel revs

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 20:00:02 +0100

On 28 Apr 2009, at 19:42, Jeff Blaine wrote:

> Thanks Simon.  I appreciate the info sharing.
>
> What are "dkms" RPMs?  Should we need to debug something
> with SNA or the list, we'd build from scratch, replicate
> the problem, and then submit a report.

dkms RPMs are the ones of the form dkms-openafs that are available
from the OpenAFS web site. These automatically build new kernel
modules, as new kernels are installed on the machine. Of course, they
can't deal with the problem where OpenAFS fails to work with a new
kernel variant.

> Can you provide more information on pointing yum at
> openafs.org repositories?  We've not used yum past
> the basic/standard method.

If you install the openafs-repository-rhel RPM (again, available from
the OpenAFS web site), then you can install OpenAFS by simply running
'yum install openafs-client'. Then, subsequent yum updates which pull
in new kernels, will also install the corresponding openafs kernel
module. You'll never get upgraded to the latest OpenAFS, though - when
we release a new OpenAFS, you'll need to update the openafs-repository-
rhel RPM to start using it.

Hope that helps,

Simon.