[OpenAFS] Tips for usin on LAN

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 07:39:03 -0400

Please read the release notes for the Windows client
and tune it for your environment using the options
described in Appendix A.  The default cache is 96MB.
That is much to small for most Windows working sets.

The Windows client defaults to requiring encryption
for all communications.  Encrypted sessions have a
significant impact on the overall throughput.

The Windows client feeds its data to the Windows
file system through the Microsoft SMB Redirector
driver.  There have been bugs in the SMB Redirector
that negatively impact OpenAFS.  Hot fixes for
XP and 2003 have been issued and are linked from
the www.openafs.org/windows.html page.  The same
fixes have been incorporated into Vista/2008 SP2
and Windows 7.

The file server parameters must be tuned.  The
default values are insufficient for more than a
handful of client machines.  I refer you to the
slides from the live troubleshooting session of
the 2009 AFS / Kerberos Best Practices Workshop.

http://workshop.openafs.org/afsbpw09/thu_panel.html

The following is an reasonable starting configuration for 200 clients.

/usr/afs/bin/fileserver -L -udpsize 131071 -sendsize 131071
   -rxpck 700 -b 600 -cb 3000000

Finally, the 1.4.7 OpenAFS servers are old.  The
current version is 1.4.11.  There have been many
improvements between those two versions.

Jeffrey Altman