[OpenAFS] Re: dynroot question

William Setzer William_Setzer@ncsu.edu
Wed, 05 Aug 2009 15:49:08 -0400

Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> writes:
: Jack Neely <jjneely@pams.ncsu.edu> wrote:
: >
: > I'm having an issue with the dynroot functionality on my web servers.
: > I've straced the httpd process and discovered that it is attempting to
: > stat() /afs/.htaccess which, of course, doesn't exist.  The problem
: > being that AFS takes 10 to 20 seconds or more to return the stat call.
:
: Do you know what the error is when it does finish? 'No such file or
: directory' or 'Connection timeout' or something else?

It was "No such file or directory".  I was strace'ing the behavior
while it was happening, and I was getting the expected answers,
just very delayed.  For example:

  # strace -p <http pid>
  open("/afs/.htaccess", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = <long pause> -1 ENOENT ...

or:

  # strace ls /afs
  getdents64(3, /* 20 entries */, 4096) = <long pause> 640

William