[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on the Palm Pre smartphone!

Alf Wachsmann alfw@slac.stanford.edu
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 07:12:21 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Jake Thebault-Spieker wrote:
> Part of the issue with Android and WebOS is that neither is designed to be a "file manager" type
> OS. They're both designed around the concept that the application will know where the files it
> needs are.
>
> What this means is that neither has an out of the box file manager as part of the OS. I know
> android has a fairly good third party file manager, but as I understand it, the WebOS API doesn't
> make it easy to write a file manager.

Really off-topic for OpenAFS:

"Internalz" (http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/internalz) works great.

One other thing I found out is that if you hack the media database
(/var/luna/data/mediadb.db3) by adding (e.g.) songs with an AFS path
by hand, then the music app will happily display and play these files.
If you write a litte app that takes a directory name as input and adds
all files it finds to the mediadb sqlite file, you are done.

-- Alf.

   Alf Wachsmann                       | e-mail: alfw@slac.stanford.edu
   SLAC - Scientific Computing         | Phone:  +1-650-926-4802
   2575 Sand Hill Road, M/S 97         | FAX:    +1-650-926-3329
   Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA           | Office: Bldg. 50/323
                 http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~alfw (PGP)