[OpenAFS] AFS to NFS translator in Linux

Daniel Richard G. danielg@teragram.com
Tue, 10 Feb 2009 15:50:18 -0500

> > We use UNFS3 (http://unfs3.sf.net/) for this exact
> purpose, exporting to a
> > number of old-school Unix systems. I added proper
> >
> Interesting.  How do you handle access control for
> users?  Is that just
> left to the
> client with the normal uid/gid access bits?

Access control? What access control? :-)

Our use case has only one effective "user" on the NFS side (an automatic
nightly build process), so there isn't a need to restrict certain areas of the
file space. If there were, however, I don't see why you couldn't use uid/gid
bits in the normal manner.

(On the AFS side, the server runs under a dedicated principal that restricts
its access to only the areas it needs, so at least it cannot be used to break
into restricted areas of AFS.)