[OpenAFS] Only db server host can log into a "remote" fileserver volume

John Betts bettsjohn@mac.com
Sat, 28 Feb 2009 14:07:00 -0500

I am having trouble accessing a particular volume hosted by a stand-
alone OpenAFS fileserver, from any client other than the one running
on the DB Server Host.
(_including_ the client running on the file server hosting the volume
in question).

When I try and access the volume I get the following error in /var/log/
system:
Feb 27 20:39:23 [client] kernel: afs: Lost contact with file server
[file.server.host2.ip] in cell [my.cell] (all multi-homed ip addresses
down for the server)
Feb 27 20:39:34 [client] kernel: afs: file server
[file.server.host2.ip] in cell [my.cell] is back up (multi-homed
address; other same-host interfaces may still be down)

I would appreciate any help you could provide me in debugging this
problem.

My setup is as follows (all on same local subnet, all servers only
have one network interface)

host1 - DB Server + File Server (Ubuntu 8.10 Server Linux i386 OpenAFS
1.4.7) - hosting volume cell.shared on vicepa mounted on /afs/my.cell/
shared
host2 - File Server (Linux sparc OpenAFS 1.5.57) - hosting volume
cell.data on vicepa mounted on /afs/my.cell/data
host3 - Client (Intel OS X 10.5 Client - OpenAFS 1.5.57)
host4 - Client (PPC OS X 10.5 Server - OpenAFS 1.5.57 + Kerberos v5 KDC)

ACL's on cell.shared and cell.data are both [loosened for debugging
purposes]:
fs listacl testdata
Access list for testdata is
Normal rights:
  system:administrators rlidwka
  system:anyuser rlidwka

1) if I am on any of the above hosts, I can go to /afs/my.cell/shared
and perform any operation
2) if I am on host1 (DB Server host), I can go to /afs/my.cell/data
and perform any operation
3) if I am on any host other than host1, including host 2 where
cell.data is hosted, I get the Lost contact with file server error.

I checked all the log files (BosLog,FileLog,VolserLog,etc.) and saw no
activity.  The only file that got showed any error was the system log.

For what it's worth, my kerberos realm and AFS cell's differ, though I
have krb.conf that points to my realm.

I am stumped.

Thanks in advance,
JB