[OpenAFS] getting openafs for linux distro de jour (aka debian)

Kevin Sumner ksumner@email.unc.edu
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 14:35:44 -0500

Hey David,

It will depend on if they're actually running Debian or a Debian variant.
Debian and Ubuntu both have packagings of OpenAFS in their Apt repositories.
For basic getting tickets Kerberos 5 tickets and generating tokens (kinit &&
aklog) and poking around AFS, you'll need these packages from the standard
Debian repositories (on Ubuntu, I think these are in the universe repository,
but don't quote me on that):

krb5-config
krb5-doc
krb5-user
libpam-afs-session
openafs-client
openafs-doc
openafs-krb5

Debian is similar, if not the same as the above packages.  If you need more
help on packages for site-specific things, you can check `aptitude search afs`.
  You will also need to build and install a kernel module.  On Debian or Ubuntu:

aptitude install module-assistant
module-assistant prepare openafs-modules
module-assistant -a -i openafs-modules

Kernel modules need to be rebuilt every time you upgrade the kernel.

This is kind of a shotgun-blast that covers the most very basic.  As for using
OpenAFS on Linux, Debian has made installs much easier.  My two biggest
complaints are still rebuilding the module for every new minor kernel change
and afsd blocking or stalling boot when it doesn't have an IP address,
particularly for laptops, although this last one may have been addressed recently.

Cheers!
Kevin
--
Kevin Sumner