[OpenAFS] adding storange and subsequent salvage

Vladimir Konrad v.konrad@lse.ac.uk
Mon, 9 Mar 2009 09:40:37 +0000

Hello,

I am running an OpenAFS version 1.4.2 server on Linux Debian Etch AMD64.

Recently, I was extending the RAID5 volume which had one partition,
holding pvolume of an LVM2 volume group, which holds LVM2 logical
volumes holding the vicep? partitions:

[sda1] <- [pvolume] <- [volume-group] <- [logical-volumes for vicep?]

The sda1 partition was not touched during the expansion, and after the
expansion, I only added the sda2 partition on the remaining free space
of the expanded sda RAID5 volume. The OS was re-booted few times without
starting the OpenAFS file-server at all (single user mode).

All went well, but after starting the OpenAFS file-server, the salvager kicked
in and went for hours. Is this by design - e.g. fileserver detected that
the mount count on vicep? changed and did salvage?

This is by no means a rant, I am just trying to understand why this happened
as it was unexpected...

Kind regards,

Vlad

------