[OpenAFS] what about partitions larger than 2 TB?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sun, 29 Nov 2009 12:16:08 -0800

Giovanni Bracco <bracco@frascati.enea.it> writes:

> What is the situation for partitions larger than 2 TB?

> We have a file server with two partitions of 5 TB

> %vos partinfo linafs1.frascati.enea.it
> Free space on partition /vicepa: 3357685900 K blocks out of total 5016031624
> Free space on partition /vicepb: 4950671196 K blocks out of total 5175721624

> and apparentely they works but the "fs" command from openafs 1.4.11 does
> not report correctly the information about quota or available blocks

> Also "fs" from openafs 1.5.66 has the same problem.

Correct.  They work, but the tools can't report the size correctly, so you
get odd results from tools that show the size of the partition.  Fixing
this requires a protocol change to use longer fields on the wire.  The new
protocol is currently being worked on.

The protocol change is not required to store files correctly in such a
partition, just to correctly report its size through the standard tools.