[OpenAFS] OpenAFS DB server on a Soekris box?

Jaap Winius jwinius@umrk.nl
Fri, 11 Jun 2010 02:07:58 +0200

Hi all,

So far, my only experience with OpenAFS has been in a virtual =20
environment, but I'm feeling confident enough now to use it for the =20
next version of my home network in order to gain some more experience. =20
I'd like to use three Debian Linux servers: two file- and database =20
servers and a third server with only an OpenAFS database. That should =20
result in total redundancy as far as the two file servers are concerned.

What I would like to do is to make that third server as small as =20
possible by using a Soekris Engineering net5501 for it:

    http://www.soekris.com/net5501.htm

This is a very small, low-power unit with a 500 MHz 586 CPU and 512 MB =20
of RAM. It has room for a single 2.5" hard disk, so I'd like to use a =20
64 GB Western Digital SSD.

Does this third machine look feasible, or would I be asking for =20
trouble? Would the SSD survive this level of wear* for at least three =20
years?

Any opinions?

Thanks,

Jaap

*) Assuming the usual SSD tweaks: noatime, external logging, =20
elevator=3Dnoop and setting the bios to "Write Back" for the drive.