[OpenAFS] openafs packages for Fodera 13?

Jack Neely jjneely@pams.ncsu.edu
Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:09:07 -0400

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:29:07PM +0100, Simon Wilkinson wrote:

> On 10 Jun 2010, at 22:52, Derrick Brashear wrote:
>
>>> Does anyone know when the yum repository for Fodera 13 would come
>>> out?  It
>>> looks like RPM fusion has openafs rpms available already. But I
>>> think I read
>>> somewhere before that they are not directly from openafs.org.
>
> Indeed, the RPM Fusion RPMs are not the same as the openafs.org ones.
> I've ranted on this subject to this list too many times before [1], but
> the summary is that the RPMFusion RPMS install things in such a way that
> you are likely to find much of the OpenAFS documentation misleading, and
> you are unlikely to be able to get community support as readily as when
> you use an OpenAFS build.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon.
>
> [1] - https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-info/2010-March/033162.html

I'll be glad to help out folks with the RPMFusion RPMs as I maintain
them.  You're welcome to file a bug there:

    http://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/

Or email me or the list.

My motivation for doing so are two fold.  First, I needed OpenAFS
packages that conformed to the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS).
Secondly, the current OpenAFS packages use an older kmod standard for
supporting kernel modules in Fedora/RHEL, and I needed the more recent
kmod standard to integrate with the other kernel modules I deal with.

Jack
--
Jack Neely <jjneely@ncsu.edu>
Linux Czar, OIT Campus Linux Services