[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] 1.6 and post-1.6 OpenAFS branch management and schedule

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Thu, 17 Jun 2010 20:01:15 +0100

On 17 Jun 2010, at 19:45, Christopher D. Clausen wrote:
> Its fine to not have it enabled by default, but I can't see why one =
would remove the functionality from the source tree.

Because every different configuration option you have doubles the =
complexity of testing the code. What actually tends to happen is that =
stuff that isn't enabled by default never actually gets tested when =
changes are made, and so ends up rotting. So, these options are =
dangerous both because we _know_ they can cause data loss now and that's =
only going to get worse in the future because nobody developing for the =
fileserver actually tests with them enabled.

We have very limited developer effort available. Reducing the breadth of =
our code significantly improves our ability to add the new features that =
everyone says they want.

My original proposal for both fast-restart and bitmap-later was that we =
should remove the configuration options but retain the code for one =
release cycle and then remove the code entirely in the next cycle. That =
hopefully prevents folk from running them thinking that they're in any =
way supported, but still allows those brave enough to do so some time to =
move over to demand attach.

Cheers,

Simon.