[OpenAFS] CellServDB

Mattias Pantzare pantzer@ludd.ltu.se
Fri, 18 Jun 2010 19:10:19 +0200

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 18:15, Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.ltu.se> wrote:
>> Is it not time to remove the default CellServDB? Or at least remove
>> not working entries?
>>
>> Some programs try to be user friendly by doing the equivalent of echo
>> */* in /afs. That will take a _very_ long time (if it ever finishes)
>> with the default CellServDB.
>
> -fakestat-all is your friend, but really, */*? what program?

I have -fakestatt-all. That does not help.

Intellij IDEA, it tries to be friendly by only listing directories
that contains things that may be of interest.

>> And it is not very user friendly to list a bunch of directories that don't work.
>
> So you're never behind a firewall? What works is relative. And what
> works for you is relative. Choose what you wish and use that.

Huh? I am often behind a firewall.

I am _not_ talking about removing CellServeDB, I am talking about
removing the _default_ CellServeDB. You can still add your DB servers
to your own CellServeDB.

The current CellServeDB in the distribution is simply not user
friendly. The only sites that may benefit from it are those that are
in it. It is of no use for new sites.