[OpenAFS] CellServDB

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Fri, 18 Jun 2010 13:23:00 -0400

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.ltu.se> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 18:15, Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.ltu.se> wrote:
>>> Is it not time to remove the default CellServDB? Or at least remove
>>> not working entries?
>>>
>>> Some programs try to be user friendly by doing the equivalent of echo
>>> */* in /afs. That will take a _very_ long time (if it ever finishes)
>>> with the default CellServDB.
>>
>> -fakestat-all is your friend, but really, */*? what program?
>
> I have -fakestatt-all. That does not help.

if you spell it like that, probably not.

but it won't help for ls /afs/*/*, only for ls -l /afs

> Intellij IDEA, it tries to be friendly by only listing directories
> that contains things that may be of interest.

what's "of interest"?

>>> And it is not very user friendly to list a bunch of directories that don't work.
>>
>> So you're never behind a firewall? What works is relative. And what
>> works for you is relative. Choose what you wish and use that.
>
> Huh? I am often behind a firewall.

Right. Does it pass all AFS traffic? Some? None? Do all which you are
behind act the same?

> I am _not_ talking about removing CellServeDB, I am talking about
> removing the _default_ CellServeDB.

Then you've removed CellServDB.

>You can still add your DB servers
> to your own CellServeDB.
>
> The current CellServeDB in the distribution is simply not user
> friendly.

If I find users who disagree to comment to that extent here, then what?

> The only sites that may benefit from it are those that are
> in it. It is of no use for new sites.

They can be listed, so... I don't follow. Also, no one at a new site
ever cares about using an extant cell?

--
Derrick