[OpenAFS] CellServDB

Mattias Pantzare pantzer@ludd.ltu.se
Fri, 18 Jun 2010 20:08:24 +0200

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 19:23, Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.ltu.se> wrote:

>>> -fakestat-all is your friend, but really, */*? what program?
>>
>> I have -fakestatt-all. That does not help.
>
> if you spell it like that, probably not.
>
> but it won't help for ls /afs/*/*, only for ls -l /afs
>

>> Intellij IDEA, it tries to be friendly by only listing directories
>> that contains things that may be of interest.
>
> what's "of interest"?

When you try to open projects it will only list directories that
contain project files or other directories. No, I don't think that
that is good.

But the I don't think that it is good that I have to find ltu.se in a
long list of sites. Especially as I will get a pause if i click on one
by mistake.

But maybe the CellServeDB is not really the problem, the problem is
that the client will list all sites in it by default. What if we just
changed the default to not list sites other than the default site
(that the installation program prompts for)?

>>> So you're never behind a firewall? What works is relative. And what
>>> works for you is relative. Choose what you wish and use that.
>>
>> Huh? I am often behind a firewall.
>
> Right. Does it pass all AFS traffic? Some? None? Do all which you are
> behind act the same?

I don't get what you are getting at. But please explain.

>> I am _not_ talking about removing CellServeDB, I am talking about
>> removing the _default_ CellServeDB.
>
> Then you've removed CellServDB.

No, the user can add things to it. Just as our installation scripts
remove everything from it...

>> The only sites that may benefit from it are those that are
>> in it. It is of no use for new sites.
>
> They can be listed, so... I don't follow. Also, no one at a new site
> ever cares about using an extant cell?

How long will it take to be listed in CellServeDB in for example the
debian afs rpm? It is not very practical.
So I would have to make installations scripts for my new extant cell,
or teach my user to add the DB servers.

Sending a list of name to IP translations is like sending /etc/hosts
and we stopped doing that a while back... :-)

But it things have to be the way they are, are you against removing
stale entries?