[OpenAFS] forcing coredumpsize in bosserver

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Mon, 17 May 2010 10:08:21 -0500

Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I submitted a patch which would use the fact that bosserver runs as
> root to override resource limits and always drop a core. The issue
> it's intended to address is that often people will start bosserver
> from contaminated environments (where coredumpsize is limited) and
> then have a crash, and can provide no data...
>
> Is anyone deliberately turning off cores with limit? Would a command
> line switch to bosserver be acceptable to you in lieu of it? (None is
> provided in this patch yet but it could be if it mattered)
>
> http://gerrit.openafs.org/#change,1959

I'd don't care if core files get generated, but I'd want some way to make
sure that the core file doesn't fill the disk partition when it gets
written.  I'm not sure how large the files can get, but I have had that
problem in the past (on other software) with multiple GB core files
completely filling a smallish / or /usr partition (as on a file server, I'd
want to have as much space as possible go to the vice partitions.)

Would it be possible to reserve some space in the vice partition and have
the core file written there instead?  (I suppose you could argue that could
be worse, but in general I have much larger vice paritions than system
ones.)

<<CDC