[OpenAFS] aklog: ktc 7 error using OpenAFS for windows

John Tang Boyland boyland@cs.uwm.edu
Tue, 14 Sep 2010 22:21:05 -0500

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
] On 9/14/2010 6:24 PM, John Tang Boyland wrote:
] > I have a student who is unable to get AFS tokens using NIM.
] > (It does get kerberos tickets).
] >=20
] > So I tested using the aklog in a command window:
] >=20
] > This is using openafs version is 1.5.77 (64 bit)
] > on a brand-new Windows 7 (64 bit) computer.
] > We installed 64 bit KfW (from Secure Endpoints)
] >=20
] > Here's what results:
] >=20
] > aklog -d -c cs.uwm.edu
] > Authenticating to cell cs.uwm.edu.
] > Getting v5 tickets: afs/cs.uwm.edu@CS.UWM.EDU
] > Getting v5 tickets: afs/cs.uwm.edu@
] > Getting v5 tickets: afs@CS.UWM.EDU
] > About to resolve name xxx@CS.UWM.EDU to id
] > Id NNNNN
] > Set username to xxxx@CS.UWM.EDU
] > Getting tokens.
] > aklog: ktc 7 (11862791) while obtaining tokens for cell cs.uwm.edu
] >=20
] > (The same problem happened for a different student with 32 bit AFS with=
]
] > OpenAFS 1.5.76).
] >=20
] > This is very frustrating since there's no information on how to trouble=
]
] > shoot this problem that I could find. Indeed I'm finding openafs much
] > harder to get to work on Windows) this semester than last year. =20
] >=20
] > Best regards,
] >=20
] > John
]
] John:
]
] I am very sorry you (and everyone else) are having issues with Windows
] 7.  The error you have received indicates that aklog has issued a pioctl
] to the AFS cache manager and it is unable to communicate with the
] service either because the service has not been started or because the
] SMB Netbios communication channel (Microsoft's code) has failed.
]
] Network Identity Manager does try to provide you clear feedback on this.
]  There is a lock icon in the system notification area for AFS.
] If the lock is broken it means that the SMB Netbios communication
] channel has failed.  You can also tell that you have this issue if you
] issue the command "NET VIEW \\AFS" and it returns a System Error 53
] (Network Path Not Found).  If you receive error 53 and "nbtstat -S"
] indicates that the service "AFS" is listening, then what has occurred is
] that the Microsoft kernel module that performs Netbios name resolution
] is failing to identify the published name "AFS".  Unfortunately once
] this occurs there is nothing that can be done to regain AFS access but
] to reboot.

OK.  We will try to use this to diagnose, but in both cases (the 32 bit
and 64 bit), rebooting had no effect.  ktc 7 still was the result.

More later.

Thanks,
John