[OpenAFS] Re: VMware and AFS

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 16 Sep 2010 13:24:38 -0700

Steve Devine <sd@msu.edu> writes:

> I will try cmdebug the next time it hangs. When this happens I can ssh
> into the machine but a graceful restart is impossible because it will
> not umount /afs Also if I try to ls /afs that will hang because there is
> nothing there anymore.  This is a web based front end server running
> UofM's Mfiles app and apache modwaklog.  This gives users access to
> their home AFS volumes via a web browser.  When it wedges again I will
> see if I can get apache to shut down and then try a restart of the AFS
> client.

Is there anything in dmesg?

If, for instance, your storage underlying your cache partition exploded
and the guest remounted the cache read-only, you could get these symptoms.
(We have lots of problems with VMware guests ending up with file systems
mounted read-only because the underlying storage was too slow and the
kernel timed out the "SCSI" request.)