[OpenAFS] MS Access databases on AFS

Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:57:09 -0700

--------------enig986FC2B1DF5A0A0796426301

On 9/22/2010 9:50 AM, Richard Heggs wrote:
> Hi Dirk,
>=20
> Yes, I agree with everything you say.  As I said in my first post, I am=

> working on a replacement) with PostgreSQL at the back and a web
> frontend). That is some months away to completion, though, and they nee=
> a temporary solution *now*.
>=20
> I was horrified when I learned that they were keeping critical data in =
> MS Access database.  And even more horrified when I learned that it was=

> backed up "whenever someone remembers"!
>=20
> Richard

MS Access will request byte range locks on the db-file.  Those will be
converted to full file locks in AFS by the cache manager.  You won't be
able to share the database in AFS.  However, since AFS locks are
advisory there is nothing to prevent someone with authorization and
malicious intent to delete the file or write over it.   That is of
course true with any file in AFS.

Jeffrey Altman