[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS 1.4.12.1 panic on shutdown on Solaris 10 U8 x86

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Sat, 25 Sep 2010 08:00:03 -0400

somehow i missed the original message here.

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 5:51 AM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 10:32:00 -0700
> Carson Gaspar <carson@taltos.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm seeing a panic when stopping afs on my Sol 10 U8 x86 box. Anyone
>> have a clue, or want more debug info? This happens consistently, and I'm
>> happy to test code fixes. From the console:
>
> It is known that you can't stop the client on Solaris on a running
> system. (I think it's maybe only the linux and windows clients that you
> can stop?)

I stop the macos client regularly. it's actually required for the
installer for macos to upgrade.

> In the 1.5/1.6 branch, at least one issue was fixed that crashed the box
> after stopping the client (9562721b89a2a7a7f32a165762d7fba8540006a9,
> gerrit 1957). With that fix, stopping the client worked for me, though I
> don't think we guarantee that doing so will work in general.

you should be able to stop it. restarting it has been "best effort"
though we try for that too.