[OpenAFS] OpenAFS Client Crash Unsaved Files

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Mon, 11 Apr 2011 12:44:47 +0100

--Apple-Mail-1--54942031

On 11 Apr 2011, at 12:12, Meisam Mohammadkhani <meisam.mohammadkhani@gmail.c=
om> wrote:

> If a client crashes before it closes the file that he changed it before, w=
hat happens to changed data? All of it will lost?

If the application crashes, then the file will still be written to the file s=
erver. If the machine upon which the application is running crashes, then an=
y unwritten data will be lost. Applications may force writes at points other=
 than when files are closed, by using the fsync() command - using this to fo=
rce checkpoints is a good idea if your application is going to keep files op=
en for any length of time.

> I also wanna to know if we wanna write in a file by our application on the=
 file server machine, it will issues a client on that to do this or a server=
 can manipulate its files without need to use a client (client and server bo=
th needs to be appear on that machine)?

You need a client in order to be able to manipulate files in AFS. This might=
 be a fully fledged cache manager, a program linked directly with libuafs, o=
r a utility like afsio.

Cheers,

Simon.=

--Apple-Mail-1--54942031

m Mohammadkhani &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:meisam.mohammadkhani@gmail.com">meisam=
s-serif">If a client crashes before it closes the file that he changed it be=
ile will still be written to the file server. If the machine upon which the a=
pplication is running crashes, then any unwritten data will be lost. Applica=
tions may force writes at points other than when files are closed, by using t=
he fsync() command - using this to force checkpoints is a good idea if your a=
pplication is going to keep files open for any length of time.</div><div><br=
t face=3D"tahoma,sans-serif"> I also wanna to know if we wanna write in a fi=
le by our application on the file server machine, it will issues a client on=
 that to do this or a server can manipulate its files without need to use a c=
lient (client and server both needs to be appear on that machine)?<br></font=
o be able to manipulate files in AFS. This might be a fully fledged cache ma=
nager, a program linked directly with libuafs, or a utility like afsio.<div>=

--Apple-Mail-1--54942031--