[OpenAFS] Windows client Cygwin and symlinks on afs volume

Axel M a.mueller@procitec.de
Tue, 12 Apr 2011 04:11:56 -0700 (PDT)

We use (Linux) symlinks on our afs volume for some directories. The symlinks
are created by the Linux AFS client.
On Windows, Explorer does show this symlinks correctly as directories and it
is possible to dive into these directories (I am aware of the delete
problem, that's why the directories are only writable for a special users).
However, Cygwin's bash has problems with these symlinked directories.
When I do ls on such a symlink (AFS is mapped to drive Z)
ls /cygdrive/z/WorkSpaces/linked_dir
I get the error message "linked_dir is not a valid directory"

>From the Cygwin FAQ I have learned that Cygwin has a similar problem with
Samba shares.
http://cygwin.com/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.symlinks-samba
Their advice is to change the smb.conf to enable the system file attribute.

Is there a similar workaround for AFS?