[OpenAFS] .dmrc file being ignored

Stephan Wiesand stephan.wiesand@desy.de
Thu, 21 Apr 2011 16:18:11 +0200

Hi Jaap,

On Apr 21, 2011, at 15:25, Jaap Winius wrote:

> When using gdm (the GNOME Display Manager) on Debian squeeze for login =
purposes along with multiple locales, if a user selects a language other =
than the default with which to start their session, they get the =
following error immediately after entering their password:
>=20
> "User's $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored. This prevents the default =
session and language from being saved. File should be owned bu user and =
have 644 permissions. User's $HOME directory must be owned by user and =
not writable by others."
>=20
> When the permissions and ownerships are correct and $HOME is a local =
directory the problem does not occur. However, it does when using AFS. I =
suspect gdm is attempting to read the file as root before it can be =
accessed via AFS.

this works fine here on EL <=3D 6 (EL6 has gdm-2.30). I always liked it =
that gdm, unlike other *dm, reads the file after acquiring the user's =
credentials.=20

> Has anyone here encountered this issue? Is there a way to prevent it =
from happening, or is it just a bug that should be reported to the gdm =
maintainers?

The common workaround is to replace such files with symlinks to one in a =
directory with system:anyuser read permissions.

Cheers,
	Stephan

--=20
Stephan Wiesand