[OpenAFS] Re: AFS/NFS translator clients cause translator server to inaccessible

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 31 Jan 2011 17:01:55 -0600

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 15:02:46 -0700
Karen Eldredge <karen.eldredge@infoprint.com> wrote:

> Andrew and Derrick thank you for replying so quick.  I've been
> fighting with my AFS/NFS translator to get you some messages when the
> server is inaccessible, but so far everything I tried it isn't logging
> anything besides the reboots and other various messages that don't
> seem to apply.  In the messages file when I feel there should be some
> useful messages there is nothing in the file for that time.

Well, not necessarily. I didn't mean to imply that there would be
helpful messages in there; there may or may not. If you only see syslog
entries that are normal to you before the reboot, that is entirely
plausible. If we get stuck in a loop or something somewhere or just
manage to wedge the machine extremely well, it's possible for the
machine to just freeze without saying anything.

> Unfortunately I don't have the necessary packages installed, because
> when I use the crash command it tells me I don't have debugging data &
> debugging symbols.

I would expect the debuginfo packages for the kernel will have what you
need. I think Red Hat and SuSE are usually pretty good at getting this
to work automatically if you have the kernel and the kernel debuginfo
packages installed.

And I don't recall, why are you using 1.5.77? Is the Linux xlator even
more broken on that kernel version in the 1.4 series?

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net