[OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.4 and 1.6 compatibility

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Tue, 31 May 2011 22:31:16 -0400

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 10:14 PM, Dan Scott <danieljamesscott@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a cell configured with 3 OpenAFS servers and 20 or so clients,
> all running version 1.4.x of OpenAFS. I see that 1.6 is nearing
> release and I have a few questions:
>
> 1. What are the new features of version 1.6?

Demand Attach fileserver is the premiere 1.6 feature. Other things
have also been added but most are much more minor

> 2. Are 1.6 clients compatible with 1.4 servers?

yes

> 3. Are 1.4 clients compatible with 1.6 servers?

yes

> What I'm really interested in knowing is can I upgrade my
> servers/clients as/when convenient, or do I have to do them all in 1
> go? I'm hoping, since 1.4 and 1.6 both use protocol V3, they will be
> compatible with each other?

they will. you should upgrade your *database* servers all in one go, however.