[OpenAFS] rsync into afs directory: File too large (27)

Thomas Kula kula@tproa.net
Fri, 10 Jun 2011 18:00:39 -0400

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 05:41:49PM -0400, Dan Scott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm synchronising (with a cronjob) some files from a directory on a
> standalone server into an AFS directory on another and I receive
> (several of) the following errors:
>
> rsync: mkstemp "/afs/example.com/volumename/filename.dat" failed: File
> too large (27)
>
> The files are not large at all (10s of MB) and there are around 30,000
> in the directory.                                              ^^^^^^^^

If I had to bet, you're running into the "directory files have a finite
size" limit. In AFS with short filenames I think you can get ~60K files
in a directory, but longer filenames take up more space and that number
goes down as names grow in length.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula@tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/