[OpenAFS] Re: Use Server volume to hold software to be installed on client machines

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Sat, 5 Nov 2011 17:51:57 -0500

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 16:59:50 -0400
Hunter McMillen <mcmillhj@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just got shoved into being a lab administrator for a lab that is set
> up with openAFS. And under our current set up anytime someone requests
> new software be installed, I have to log into each and every client
> machine to download and install the required packages, but there has
> to be an easier way.

What OS are the client machines? There are many ways to automate
software installation, and most don't even involve AFS, but things can
change a lot depending on if you're talking about Windows or not.

> After reading through some of the documentation I can't seem to find
> what I am looking for, but here is what I would like. A volume on a
> server machine that I can download packages into then have read-only
> copies of that volume on each of the client machines. Then a script
> can install all of the packages for me.

If you want to go through AFS, just put it in a volume on an AFS
fileserver, and have the clients access the package from AFS. There's no
need to distribute read-only copies of the volume if all of the clients
are close to the fileserver.

Or you can install the software into a volume in AFS, and have clients
run it from AFS. But that can get quite complex, depending on what you
want to do.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net