[OpenAFS] Use Server volume to hold software to be installed on client machines

Jonathan Billings jsbillin@umich.edu
Sun, 6 Nov 2011 11:19:15 -0500

On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 04:59:50PM -0400, Hunter McMillen wrote:
> After reading through some of the documentation I can't seem to find what I
> am looking for, but here is what I would like. A volume on a server machine
> that I can download packages into then have read-only copies of that volume
> on each of the client machines. Then a script can install all of the
> packages for me.

I do this already, in a somewhat similar fashion.  I have RHEL
systems, and have yum repos that refer to
file:///afs/cellname/path/to/repo where it sees RPM packages.  I
download new RPMs to /afs/.cellname/path/to/repo, and have test
systems that have the RW URL configured on the test repo, and when I
am happy with it, we release the AFS volume.  (although it's
automatically released at night by another script, and I usually just
let it do that.)

Is this what you were looking for?  We only have a handful of
Read-only replicas though, just enough to handle the many lab
computers we have. (it'd be impossible for us to have a RO for EACH
lab system anyway.)

--
Jonathan Billings <jsbillin@umich.edu>
College of Engineering - CAEN - Unix and Linux Support