[OpenAFS] Localization of OpenAFS client and documentation

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 19 Oct 2011 09:38:34 -0700

Karel Nykles <knykles@civ.zcu.cz> writes:

> At DESY there was an interest for translation and localization of the
> OpenAFS documentation.

For the documentation, the man pages are by far in the best state to be
localized, since they're unlikely to change drastically, so any
localization can be maintained going forward by diffing the previous
reference documentation with the current version and making similar
changes to the translation.  I think it's probably best to maintain
translated man pages as completely separate files.  We'll have to figure
out what to do with the build system to get them installed.

My concern over translating the DocBook documentation is that it needs
substantial reformatting and tag consistency improvements to really be
maintainable, and many parts of it need substantial rewrites.  That's
going to mean that any translation of that documentation is likely to get
out of date whenever that work happens (not that the work has been
particularly fast).