[OpenAFS] problem with dbservers running under bosserver

Kevin Coffman kwc@citi.umich.edu
Wed, 15 Feb 2012 17:30:30 -0500

Hi folks,
I've installed the 1.6.0 rhel6 rpms on a new rhel6 machine.  I'm
trying to replicate/migrate services from an old 1.4 machine.  (I'm
aware that 1.6.1 is coming, but am avoiding building from source...)

So far, I've run into two general problems.  I searched a bit but
haven't seen these mentioned.  Are these known issues?

1) When I try and run any ubik servers under the bosserver, they fail
to start with

vlserver: Ubik init failed: file not found when processing dbase
ptserver: file not found when processing dbase Ubik init failed

However, if I run the vlserver or ptserver directly from the command
line, they appear to run fine and communicate with the 1.4 machine.

2) The bosserver appears to read /usr/afs/local/BosConfig, but does
not (will not) write it.  I've verified that it will bail out if there
is an error in the BosConfig file.  However, if I try to do any
commands that should alter it, they either fail, or skip the writing
part..

# bos getrestart localhost -local
Server localhost restarts never
Server localhost restarts for new binaries at 5:00 am
# bos setrestart localhost never -local
bos: failed to set restart time at server (communications failure (-1))
#

# /etc/init.d/openafs-server restart
Stopping openafs-server:                                   [  OK  ]
Starting openafs-server:
# cat BosConfig
restarttime 11 0 4 0 0
checkbintime 3 0 5 0 0
bnode simple vlserver 1
parm /usr/afs/bin/vlserver
end
bnode simple ptserver 1
parm /usr/afs/bin/ptserver
end
bnode simple buserver 1
parm /usr/afs/bin/buserver
end
# bos status localhost -local
Instance vlserver, temporarily disabled, stopped for too many errors,
currently shutdown.
Instance ptserver, temporarily disabled, stopped for too many errors,
currently shutdown.
Instance buserver, temporarily disabled, stopped for too many errors,
currently shutdown.
# bos delete localhost vlserver -local
# bos status localhost -local
Instance ptserver, temporarily disabled, stopped for too many errors,
currently shutdown.
Instance buserver, temporarily disabled, stopped for too many errors,
currently shutdown.
# cat BosConfig
restarttime 11 0 4 0 0
checkbintime 3 0 5 0 0