[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS on OpenSuse 12.1: No connection to filesystem

hanke@rzg.mpg.de hanke@rzg.mpg.de
Fri, 6 Jan 2012 15:03:38 +0100 (CET)

>> can you access /afs/openafs.org/ ? Do you have any
>> idea if you have a firewall on that could be blocking this traffic?
>
> In fact, I can access /afs/openafs.org/ and do a ls, e.g.,
>
> :/afs/openafs.org/user > /bin/ls -laF
> total 14
> drwxrwxrwx 2 root  root 2048 Aug 25  2007 ./
> drwxrwxrwx 2 root  root 2048 May  7  2006 ../
> drwxrwxrwx 2 14768 root 2048 Aug 25  2007 gendalia/
> drwxrwxrwx 3 root  root 2048 Dec 19  2003 jaltman/
> [...]
>
> I do have a firewall in place. What are the necessary ports? How do I
> check if ports are open? etc.

I don't think your firewall would distinguish between
"openafs.org" and "employer_domain".
To check the firewall run as root :  "iptables -L".
Or disable the firewall using "Yast2".

Anyway, to see which fileserver of employer_domain is not reachable:
do a
/bin/ls /afs/employer_domain
(fails with connection timedout), then
/usr/bin/fs checkservers

This should give you the hostname of a fileserver failing to respond.

Then you can try to establish a debug connection to that
fileserver via

/usr/sbin/rxdebug  (fileservername) -v

This is the thing you need to get to work first. It can be a firewall
issue on your computers side or on your employers' side.