[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS on OpenSuse 12.1: No connection to filesystem

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 6 Jan 2012 09:15:57 -0500

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 03:23:55 -0800 (PST)
Starl8gazer <starl8gazer@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In fact, I can access /afs/openafs.org/ and do a ls, e.g.,

[...]
> I do have a firewall in place. What are the necessary ports? How do I
> check if ports are open? etc.

Since there's at least one cell that you can access, that's probably not
the problem. If you run 'fs listcell -n | grep employer_domain', you
will see a list of IP addresses that you need to be able to contact to
use the employer_domain cell. Can you confirm that those hosts should be
accessible to you over the network? You can run 'ping <ip_address>' for
a general-purpose icmp ping, or you can run
'rxdebug <ip_address> 7003 -version' to run a kind of "afs-level ping",
which uses similar network traffic as actual afs usage would see.

If both of those say that you can't reach those machines, maybe you
should ask your employer as to whether they are actually reachable via
the public internet, or whatever network you're accessing from.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net