[OpenAFS] Re: - vos release

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 16 Jan 2012 22:18:54 -0600

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 17:08:57 +0100
<info@probanet.it> wrote:

> Question:
> Is there a way to obtain a "fast release" (or something similar) from
> server B to C? (We would like to avoid the full release from A to C
> because the link is slow, while B and C are on the same local LAN).

You can 'vos dump' the RO, and
'vos restore -readonly -creation dump -lastupdate dump' to site C. Then
you can 'vos addsite -valid' site C, to add the site to the vldb and
force it being marked as an up-to-date site. (This functionality
probably could and should be added to 'vos')

I'm not completely sure if that works as-is; there might be some odd
differences from a normal release, but it's something to try out.
There's also race conditions and error-prone behavior in there, so I
wouldn't recommend just doing that all the time or anything, unless some
more thought is put into it.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net