[OpenAFS] Windows clients / roaming profiles and OpenAFS

Dave Botsch botsch@cnf.cornell.edu
Wed, 18 Jan 2012 11:02:22 -0500

I can tell you what we're doing, with Windows 7...

redirect as many folders as possible to AFS. However, there is still
some part of the profile which roams (such as the registry files). So,
you still have a roaming profile you need to do something with. As such,
our roaming profiles are actually stored in AFS.

For each user, we have an afs homedirectory. In their homedirectory,
they have:

1. windowsprofile.v2 (where the roaming profile is stored)
2. win_folders (with a subfolder for each redirected folder)

Of course, you'll run into the occasional silly application that stores
its data in the local profile and not the roaming profile.

Up through OAFS 1.5.78, everything works great. I've seen some evidence
of weirdness with the roaming profiles bit not working correctly in
1.6.x but have not yet had time to troubleshoot/test more/report a
bug/etc.