[OpenAFS] Re: Linux ext4 vicep and cache support?

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 25 Jan 2012 10:05:06 -0600

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 09:38:30 -0500
"John W. Sopko Jr." <sopko@cs.unc.edu> wrote:

> Is it safe to use ext4 for /vicep partitions?
> The install docs do not mention file system type
> requirements.

Filesystem doesn't matter for /vicep, for the most part. You can use any
fs as long as we get 'normal' unix-y features with it (owner, group,
access modes, etc; I assume just saying "POSIX" is enough). The server
processes generally don't do anything special with the files in there,
except for setting the owner, group, and mode bits to "strange" things.

> In the past we had issues with ext4 as a client cache partitions and
> continue to use ext3, has anything changed?

1.6 clients use a different mechanism for accessing the cache, and
should no longer be limited to particular file systems. All versions of
1.4 I believe still have the same cache fs restrictions, which limits
you to ext2/3.

That is, assuming Linux 2.6+. Nearly all Linux-specific changes to 1.6
clients don't apply to Linux 2.4 and earlier.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net